This site is the most comprehensive on the web devoted to trans history and biography. Well over 1400 persons worthy of note, both famous and obscure, are discussed in detail, and many more are mentioned in passing.

There is a detailed Index arranged by vocation, doctor, activist group etc. There is also a Place Index arranged by City etc. This is still evolving.

In addition to this most articles have one or more labels at the bottom. Click one to go to similar persons. There is a full list of labels at the bottom of the right-hand sidebar. There is also a search box at the top left. Enjoy exploring!

04 April 2010

Sarah Parry (1945 – ) ship’s captain.

Brian Parry served with the Australian forces in Vietnam. He qualified as a ship’s captain.

He had two marriages, and two children from the first marriage. He then met a new female partner who stayed with him during and after transition.

Brian was recognized as Hobart’s Citizen of the year in 1998 for his work building square riggers and involving local disadvantaged youth, but by then had transitioned to Sarah.

In 2002 Sarah captained the ship she had built to re-enact the Matthew Flinders 1802 Round Australia voyage, which produced the first detailed maps of Australia, and was featured on the Australian Story television show. The trip became controversial as crew jumped ship complaining about the facilities.
Sarah: "I tend to see myself as a third gender. I live as a woman. I'm known as a woman, legally I am. However I'm able to use all those things that I learned as a male & put them to good use in my life now. I don't reject my previous life”.
Sarah was still captaining the ship in November 2007 when it was in the news for rescuing a crayboat.

*Not the sociology lecturer.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    There are three daughters - I am the eldest - and my dad qualified as a ship's captain AFTER transitioning.

    The ship is still running beautifully, based in Hobart, and in 2017 dad was named International Sail Trainer of the Year - an honour bestowed in France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I just saw Sarah Parry in the episode "mareTV" on German TV. "If I can build a ship, then I'll manage to come out" - a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be a lovely person in real life.
    She lived to be herself.
    As her ship was built for sailing,
    Her life built for living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous17/6/23 22:01

    My husband and I met the amazing Sarah and her crew of young people when we joined the Sunday afternoon Luncheon Cruise on the Derwent in late September 2008. It was an exhilarating and memorable experience being guest Travellers on a Tall Ship, sailing across those beautiful blue waters on a chilly but wonderful sunny Spring day.
    The cost of Tickets was very reasonable and we were happy to contribute to the provision of all the ongoing experiences and training offered to so many young girls and boys. Well Done Sarah and Crew - you are all still doing such a great job in the Hobart community in 2023.

    ReplyDelete

Comments that constitute non-relevant advertisements will be declined, as will those attempting to be rude. Comments from 'unknown' and anonymous will also be declined. Repeat: Comments from "unknown" will be declined, as will anonymous comments. If you don't have a Google id, I suggest that you type in a name or a pseudonym.